Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008 offered changes to my life. I ate at Brady, Michelle, and Kennedy’s house for lunch. Michelle’s parents, Keith and Marlene Arend, came down from fifteen inches of snow in Michigan. Michelle and Marlene cooked dinner. My daughter, Kelly, and my mother-in-law, Sue Smith, joined us. It was Anna’s year to work on Thanksgiving at the hospital so Brady and I delivered a plate to her. I am glad when my daughter-in-law gets to be with her parents and when my granddaughter gets to be with her other set of grands. I feel less guilty for all the time I consume in their lives. I also enjoyed the change of pace that a holiday on Thursday allows. Friday and Saturday were less throttled. I hope your day was good. I am impressed with the reports of a family in the church who invited new church families and neighbors for Thanksgiving.

We transitioned from Thanksgiving to the first Sunday of Advent on Sunday and it seems to me that the Holy Spirit gave direction to the narrative and drama. Thanks to Shelby Thompson and Anthony Mannen for lighting the Advent candles in each service. Three members of the body shared their thanks for the presence and activity of God in their lives last year, each with pieces of suffering included. Thanks to Daniel Smith, Jason Vines, and Jill Satterlee for transparent stories and the courage you revealed in sharing them. Your words gave hope to others. “My Life is in Your Hands” was never more appropriate.

Thanks to every person who assisted with set-up, service, and clean-up for the preparation service last Sunday night. Lisa Anderson, who normally gives quiet direction to all the social events at HCN, was instead in the hospital awaiting surgery. Lisa’s family stepped up and filled the gaps. Thanks for the delicious soups, salads, and desserts. I forget how much I love homemade soup. Thanks to Betty Willis for coordinating decorating teams around the church. Betty may rearrange a few things before next Sunday but generally, wreaths are hung, trees are up, the nativity scene in the sanctuary is together. I loved the spirit, the company, the activity of the evening.

Sherman Nash came by the church last week and brought his and Virginia’s tithe check. He sat for a while and talked with me about life at 84 years of age. Sherman is one of the first people I met when I came to Hermitage Church. We have good history.

I need to add the names of two families who assisted with Room in the Inn activities on Saturday, November 22, 2008: the Kile family and the Alderman family. Thanks for preparing lunches to go and assisting with transportation.

The following facts come courtesy of staff writer Taylor Steinmetz: “Mt. Juliet High School held its first basketball games in the new school’s gym on November 20, 2008. Building One High School Students, Britt Bell and Katie Scott, got to make history by playing in the first ever girl’s game in the new gym and Brandon Shepard in the first ever guy’s game.” Congratulations to Britt, Katie, and Brandon, and thanks to Taylor.

Please notice schedule changes for this Sunday, December 7, 2008, in the morning. The Worship Choir and Band present a Christmas Musical Celebration at 9:00 AM and 10:30 AM (usually 10:15 AM), in The Center. Last fall, Dr. Sam Green asked the choir to select their ten favorite Christmas Choir selections and the result is a morning of powerful worship to honor the Lord Jesus. No Sunday School classes (except Early Christians at 8:00 AM), meet this Sunday due to choir member’s cross obligations with teaching and also with space and parking issues. HCN children present their Christmas programs on Sunday evening at 6:00 PM. Fellowship follows the program with finger foods provided by you and me. There are always lots of guests and sandwiches always seem to be in short supply. Would you help, please?

I need to tell you about the evening service for Sunday, December 21, 2008, at 6:00 PM. Sam has asked three talented vocalists in our congregation to each prepare three Christmas songs to share. They all agreed. Look forward to the musical gifts of Dorinda Biggs, Suzanne Herring, and Catherine Segars.

We received a phone call from a neighboring church this morning to alert us to thefts that have taken place over the last three weeks in three different churches. There is a team of one man and one woman who are doing the lifting. Ladies, please do not leave your purse unattended in any place over the next month. We will alert our designated security team to help. No panic, just caution.

If you would like to help a family in need during Christmas, I want to remind you that you can purchase a gift card and deposit it in offering plates on Sunday morning for the pastoral staff team to get to a family. I repeat that I am not in any way associated with Walmart, but Walmart cards allow the purchase of gas, food, clothing, toys. There are always serious needs with rent, utility bills, etc., with families in the church. If you want to help with those needs, make a check to the church and designate for families in need. The gifting is as immediate as possible, from your hands to our hands to hands in need.

I look forward to Sunday.


In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard