Monday, November 23, 2009

November 23, 2009

Thanks to the Saturday Samaritans who served on Saturday, November 14, 2009, and made a difference in properties of people in need throughout the church. The group was led by Marvin Heath and included Kent Kile, Ken Willis, Kevin and Joel Daugherty, Rob and Michael Mathias, J.D. Hisey, Jeff and Josh Cater. Marvin actually took a tumble off a ladder and fell ten feet before landing on his side. Thankfully, he suffers only sore ribs.

Congratulations to Adrie Brown and Hunter Steinmetz who were nominated for the Hoby Award at Mt. Juliet High School. MJHS teachers were asked to nominate sophomores who demonstrated the following characteristics: charismatic personality; courage to speak one’s beliefs; courage to challenge authority; strong decision making skill; outstanding oral and written skills; critical and creative thinking; sensitivity to the needs of others; participation and interest in community service activities; good academic record. One sophomore was then selected to attend the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference, a stellar leadership conference for local youth. Adrie Brown was the recipient.

Sam Green received GREAT news last week. His bone marrow biopsy showed he is in complete remission from acute leukemia. The news was so good that his doctor admitted him to Centennial Medical Center last Friday to begin the last of two rounds of powerful chemo. The purpose is to destroy any remaining cancer cells which may be lurking in his body. He will be discharged this Wednesday, in time to spend Thanks-giving with his family.

Ruby Ann Barnes died last Friday, November 20, 2009, in Livingston, Tennessee. She is the mother of Ron Barnes and the grandmother of Gatha Barnes Frizsell. Ruby Ann lived her life in the Livingston, Tennessee, area, keeping a farm and family going with her husband and son. For the last fifteen years, she has hosted the Hermitage Senior High Students on that farm for their fall retreat. While Ron is the actual host, Ruby Ann allowed it and invited the kids into her home for a visit to indoor plumbing. She loved the company. This is a tribute to a lady who loved people and shared her home and property in a way that was a blessing. If you ever attended one of those retreats, these are addresses for Ron and Gatha to send your condolences: Ron and Illona Barnes, 3217 Dinah Court, Nashville, TN, 37214-2305…Gatha and Mike Frizsell, 649 Des Moines, Hermitage, TN, 37076.

Often someone in the church approaches a pastoral staff member to ask how to let the church body know they have a tool to lend or an appliance to sell or children’s clothing to share. Or someone needs a personal reference for an electrician or plumber or carpenter. Pastor Rondy Smith has attempted to pass information knowing that we needed a better way. Rob Mathias, a member of HCN, recommended Google Groups, a board used by his business to pass information. He visited our staff meeting this morning to demonstrate how it might work for the church. The site allows a secure environment without sharing email addresses. Staff members will experiment with the site for several weeks and then extend the option to the church.

Thanksgiving Day is this Thursday. By the time you get this letter, it may be passed.

All that I am grateful for begins with God and the church. God found me early, talked to me often, never gave up on me. People at my church loved me and wrapped their arms around me and prayed me through more than one trauma. My conversion, baptism, call to ministry, marriage, ordination, and dedication of my children took place in the church.

It is the place I love and the people I love. I am grateful for my wife, Anna; my children, Kelly, Brady and Michelle; my grandbabies, Kennedy and Leyton. I am thankful that we love each other. I am grateful for decent health at 57 years. I am thankful I still like to learn. I am glad for friends of long years; medium years; this year. I am a rich man.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard