Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19, 2010

Welcome to the newest members of HCN: Amber Beach, Bill and Mya Fleming, Jill Forcum, Bill and Dean Jackson, Jonathan and Sarah Paddon, Dennis and Scottie Scholl.

They were born in Tennessee, New York, Kentucky, and Indiana. They were nurtured as Southern Baptists, Presbyterians, Catholics, and Nazarenes. For this portion of their spiritual journey, they have settled into the life of Christ at HCN and desire to be a member of the community. We are glad. As members of the body of Christ, they change us and make us better. We make them better. We pray that our association will lead us to love God wholly and to love each other.

Congratulations to Ben Mabry, Brian Brinkman, Anna-Laura Green, and Sophie Green who participated in TNT at TNU over the weekend. TNT is an annual event where Nazarene youth from across the southeastern USA compete in art, sports, speech, Bible quizzing, etc. Individuals have already competed at a district level and taken first place. Ben, Brian, Anna-Laura, and Sophie won first place in ultimate Frisbee. Ben and Brian were members of the second place beach volleyball team. Brian was chosen a member of the beach volleyball all-star team and awarded the individual sportsmanship award. Brian also placed first in the senior high men’s tennis. Youth group members joined them in the opening ceremonies at an Opryland Ballroom on Thursday evening.

Last week, I told you about Will Miranne’s feature in “Singin’ In The Rain” on Friday and Saturday, April 23 and 24, 2010, at DCA. I also told you that Will is a genuine star. The Tennessean agreed with me and in their Davidson AM feature page last week printed an article about DCA’s drama department that is all about Will. Read on the Center glassboard.

Kevin Terry played cello for the offertory in first service yesterday. Kevin is a Nazarene boy from Texas who is a freshman at Belmont University. He drives to HCN each Sunday and plays in the second service band. I asked Kevin to play in first service so we all could have the opportunity to enjoy his talent. He leaves for Russia in only a few months to minister in churches and orphanages there at the invitation of the Russian Gospel Music Association. If you would like to contribute to Kevin’s trip, send a check made out to Artists in Christian Testimony International, Box 1649, Brentwood, TN, 37027-1649. Kevin’s account is #357.

Sunday, May 2, 2010, is the day we want to recognize College/University Graduates for 2010 at HCN. If you are a 2010 graduate (either undergraduate or graduate), or you have a family member who attends HCN who is a 2010 graduate, please notify the church office by phone 847-3335 or by email so that we may prepare for your recognition in the service.

Before we received new members in second service on Sunday, we concluded the preaching service by re-singing the new song that Sam Green taught us and spending quiet, reflective time in our seats. I thought the message required a private time instead of a public response, yet I asked if God had spoken to you that you would speak to me, write me a note, send me an email, call me on the phone and tell me simply: “I swam to Jesus today.” The responses have made me weep. I have emails. I have notes. Men especially came straight to me and talked. Two of the messages were so moving I thought you needed to hear them. One wrote: “I swam to Jesus today and I will again tomorrow.” Another wrote: “I was drowning when I came to church today and I swam to Jesus.” We never know what is going on in the heads and hearts of those who come to worship but the wonderful, powerful Holy Spirit is always ahead of us, always at work, always speaking, always drawing us to Jesus. I am amazed at his discerning power. I am glad I am connected to him and to you.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard