Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010

Fourteen inches of rain fell at the Nashville International Airport over a twenty-four hour period, spanning Saturday-Sunday, May 1-2, 2010, and broke the recorded historical record for rainfall in our area. The result is that two of the three interstates (I-24 and I-40) which converge in Nashville were closed for portions of Sunday. Portions of Lebanon Road and Saundersville Road were closed. Neigborhoods off Andrew Jackson Parkway were underwater up to window tops. As of this writing, I do not know of anyone from HCN whose home is flooded, however, multiple reports of flooded businesses are reported (Rob Mathias, Ronnie Marsh). Rob and Tiffany Mathias lost a car. Opryland parking areas are underwater. Multiple buildings at Trevecca have water covering the floor. Camp Garner Creek at Dickson has a bridge washed out, a newly remodeled building destroyed by falling trees, multiple facilities with water. It is a momentous flood. I have emails from HCN families offering to share their meals, their homes. I have an email saying “let me know what is needed.” As we discover needs, we will attempt to connect them with offers for help.

I drove to the church at 7:40 AM on Sunday already knowing that Tulip Grove Road was impassable. I drove in the center of the two lanes on Andrew Jackson and sent wake east and west. I parked on the back of the gravel lot at church and without wisdom, walked through the newly created creek flowing from our trash container to the large trees. I found the most narrow place to cross which was also the deepest place. I had water up to my knees which meant that my socks and shoes and pants were wet through. Early Christians had dutifully gathered for Sunday School with thirty plus people in first service. I think there were more than twelve people in the choir. By second service, the rain was heavier and people arriving informed me that more and more neighborhood roads were being closed. So, we prayed and sang and listened to the scripture read with brief commentary and we went on our way with a blessing spoken. Chef Jill Satterlee came to me and told me that she had prepared spaghetti for whoever wanted to stay and eat lunch and while I was not one, I have heard the Parlor was full of those who accepted her invitation. Many of you attempted to get to church and were blocked at numerous, overflowing passages. My friend, Richard Rouse, wrote on his facebook page that he had been snowed in once and rained in twice in his life. I think it was my first rain-in.

Baby Day was scheduled for last Sunday morning and will need to be included at the start of services this Sunday morning, May 9, 2010. Recognition of 2010 graduates of Colleges and Universities was also scheduled for last Sunday morning. While graduates will be recognized in the services on May 9, 2010, I want to print the names of those currently known to us. Bachelor degrees will be granted to David Tigabu, Eddie Witkowski, Jenny Carter, Frank Bolyard, Jeremy Michael, Heather Michael. Masters degrees will be granted to Cassidy Nelson, Stephan Scappaticci, Rebekah Means, Lindsay Miller. Doctorate degrees will be granted to Donny Jackson and Brooke Foxworthy.

I asked in last week’s letter for information on Country Music Marathon Runners from HCN. I know more. Kids ran a marathon of 25 miles (one mile at a time after school each day for weeks before the event), and then ran their 26th mile on Friday night before the marathon. HCN runners in the Kids Marathon were Adam Jones (best time ever at 6 minutes 52 seconds), Shelby Rose, Hannah Jackson, Madeleine Rouse (second year). Also, additional Half-Marathon runners were Richard Rouse, Mark Washing (2:46), Carolyn Washing (2:03), Suzanne Karr. I continue to express my admiration for the training and endurance.

When the rain was not letting up last Saturday afternoon and Mt. Juliet Prom Attendees needed a place for photo-ops, a large crew came to the HCN Center Lobby. There was lots of styling and profiling. I am not sure but I think forty of our kids did a group date. I am kind of kidding and kind of not. Anna-Laura Green was elected a Prom Princess which is similar to Snow White and Cinderella. When you have a three year old granddaughter, you know about these things. Congratulations to Anna-Laura.

Rondy Smith and I spent last Thursday and Friday at Camp Garner Creek in Dickson as members of the Boards of Ministry in Ministerial Studies and Credentials. We participated in the interviews of one hundred plus district licensed ministers and ordination candidates. Shane Tarter, Eddie Witkowski, Tes Tigabu, Daniel Smith, and Jake Resor were interviewed for renewal of licenses and for grant of licenses. Ken Jewett was interviewed for transfer of ordination credentials from the Wesleyan Church to the Church of the Nazarene. Ken’s decision to transfer is an enormous decision as he and Robin were both raised and nurtured from birth in the Wesleyan Church. The process is long and laborious but remains the one responsibility I have on the district level which I believe makes a difference in the kingdom of God.

It is the first of May and HCN continues to work to complete the payment of financial mission obligations. It would be hard for me to overestimate how important it is that we pay these apportionments. Non-payment eventually affects our ability to keep pastoral staff members and impacts the quality of ministry in our community and church. Meeting our goals require that everyone share in giving and that some of us are moved to give above and beyond our tithes and pledges. This is my fifteenth year to pastor this congregation and I have never seen our spending tighter while our ability to pay our mission budgets are more difficult. I continue to ask for your prayers and participation.

If you are behind in your giving; need to catch up a pledge; or feel moved to give extra, now would be a great time. You do not need to tell me. Just do it.

This Sunday is Mother’s Day. We will honor all women eighteen years of age and older, with children and without children. Please plan to bring the women in your house to church with you.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard