Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27, 2010

It is the week after Christmas and I need to rest. Do you? I loved all of the events and activities and services and took them one day at a time. Anna and I hosted the pastoral staff team and spouses for dinner in our home on Tuesday, December 21. We celebrated our thirty-eighth wedding anniversary out with close friends on Wednesday, December 22. We celebrated Sue Smith Dobbins’ eighty-ninth birthday on Thursday, December 23, with dinner at Bobby and Rondy Smith’s house. Sue is Anna and Bobby’s mother. We participated in the Christmas Eve Service at HCN on December 24. On Christmas morning, we rose early and drove to Brady and Michelle’s house to watch Kennedy and Leyton open presents left by Santa. We ate breakfast, drove home, and started cooking for our 5:00 PM dinner with everyone. Somewhere in the week, I enjoyed a good visit with Sam Green at Centennial. I read and soaked in scripture and structured the sermon for Sunday morning. On Sunday, December 26, I worshipped at HCN with my sisters and brothers in Christ.

This was our third year for a Christmas Eve Service at HCN. Too many people asked for too many years that we try it and so we did. It was so simple but so inspirational. We prayed; read scriptures; sang great Christmas hymns; received communion; listened to Landon Collins sing “Away in a Manger”; watched three and four year old children (Ava Collins, Kyler Kelley, Tyler Koon, Kennedy Plummer, Carson Slocum), portray the nativity; lit the Christ candle and passed the light to the congregation. The sanctuary was packed floor and balcony with chairs down the aisles and lining the back wall. These are the comments posted by some on you on my facebook page regarding the service. “I love the service. I love the times we gather in the sanctuary.” “Brother! We loved it. I was a little torn up singing the old hymns.” “I wish there was a LOVE button. LIKE just does not cut it.” “The sight of a packed house of people saved by grace with candles lit all in the name of Jesus. There was no other place I would rather have been tonight.” “We did our celebrating before the service time. Did not ask who was going with me…just said we needed to leave by 6:30 PM. Had some whines, but held my ground. Our home of 2 had 7 people there.” “I loved the packed house. I loved being squished between my husband and a woman who I met for the first time. I loved that one of the balcony doors was accidentally left locked and every couple of minutes someone knocked softly on the door.”

Snow really did come Christmas Eve night. And more on Christmas Day. And more on Christmas night. So, Sunday morning travel was questionable. I left my house at 9:00 AM for the previously scheduled one service at 10:00 AM. When I walked into The Center at 9:15 AM, the band (Randy Layne, Jay Barfield, David Flint, Michael Waller, Graham Scott, Rich Herring), was already practicing; the praise team (Tammy Tarter, Suzanne Karr-Herrring, Emily Sullivan), was rehearsing; Brian Biggs and Robert Sullivan were setting up sound and lighting. I honestly thought: how do I get to be a part of this wonderful, responsible group of people? Music was spirited. Suzanne and Rich provided the soulful offertory. We prayed for Kyle Russell with his family at open altars. Kyle leaves tomorrow (December 28), for Texas and basic training in the Air Force. Kyle came to see me on Christmas Eve and we had a great heart-to-heart conversation. After preaching, we gathered at the front of the Center for communion. I met your families who were visiting and I think I was honest when I bragged on you. Actually, I am sure I was honest. There were 212 people counted who were able to drive to church.

Since this is our second snow in December that affected Sunday services, could I talk to us about general decision making regarding future services and ice and/or snow? If there is winter precipitation on a Sunday, we will move to one service at 10:00 AM and it will probably meet in The Center. If there is winter precipitation on a Sunday afternoon/evening or Wednesday evening, we will most likely cancel services. The easiest place to check is the church website at www.hermitagenazarene.org or my facebook page. We try to make as many phone connections as possible for those who have no access to the internet. There is no perfect system. I ask for forgiveness in advance.

End of the year giving is available by mailing your contributions to HCN, Post Office Box 111, Hermitage, TN 37076, or by bringing your contributions to the church by Friday, December 31, 2010, at 4:00 PM. The important thing is to date your check for 2010. I always come to the end of a church year having received at least a dozen requests for charitable giving. Some I give to regularly. Some I would give to never. But I wonder if I have made a sufficient appeal for the church as a place to give. I would have a hard time telling you how appropriate I think it is to give to HCN in the midst of serious mission and ministry. I hope you feel the same.

The Church Board meeting scheduled for Sunday, December 12, 2010, at 4:30 PM was canceled due to ice and snow that afternoon and evening. The busy Christmas schedules kept us from rescheduling. The next Church Board meeting is scheduled for Sunday, January 9, 2011, at 4:00 PM. Please note the earlier time.

The Genesis Sunday School Class hosted Room-in-the-Inn men at HCN on Christmas Day and evening. I do not have a complete list of those who helped but those I know include Wayne and Pam McNeese, Ricky and Dianne McNeese, Lisa Anderson, Paul and Pam Stonecipher, Andrew and Katie Nelson, Christy Stonecipher and Dennis Hughes, John and Erika Mannen, Jared, Anthony, and Alyssa Mannen, Steve, Lisa, and Kyler Kelley, Becky Evans, JD and Angela Hissey, Joe and Carol Clem, Dan and Cathy Preston, Bob and Rhonda Ward, Marvin and Ruth Heath, Carter Poole. Various groups of people provided gifts to the men including reading glasses from Ruth Heath. Paul Stonecipher said the reading glasses were received like candy.

Sam Green spent Christmas Day with his family in Centennial. The graft versus host disease that proves his brother Steve’s stem cells have taken over his body put him there. Pray that Sam continues to get well, slowly but surely.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard