Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25, 2011

Easter Sunday is behind me but it remains within me. Sometimes I am so consumed with my responsibilities on such a big day that I miss enjoying the moment. That was not true of Sunday.

I enjoyed every moment. I know the videos are old but I love them. I loved the saxophone solo. I loved the responsive readings and scripture reading. I loved receiving communion. I loved the senior high teens who served communion. I loved the congregational singing. I loved the band which remained non-stop on the platform. I loved “I Will Rise” by Sam and the Choir. I loved preaching about rescue and Christ the Victor. I loved the Praise Ensemble. I loved joining the church universal in repeating: “He is risen. He is risen indeed!” I loved the almost equal numbers of people who attended first service and then second service. One of my buddies posted on facebook yesterday afternoon: “That was the Easter service I needed, wanted, and craved. Rescued…that’s me.” Dean and Bill Jackson are senior members of the congregation. Dean wrote an email on Sunday afternoon: “When we drove out of the parking lot this morning, tears flowed with thanksgiving to God for the traffic jam! I was blessed to be a part of the beginning efforts of charter members. We have grown from no parking lot to an overflow parking lot.”

The team of people who made the day work are large in number. The team has to begin with Sam Green. Sam and I sat and planned the service and then he disappeared to recruit and rehearse and create chemistry with musicians. Musically creative people do things for Sam. He recruited a choir, a band, a saxophonist, an ensemble. Brian Biggs made the microphones work when they needed to work. Robert Sullivan made the videos start when they needed to start. Everyone who read and sang understood their cues and were on time. Shane Tarter recruited twelve senior high students to serve communion in first and second service. Jody Scott recruited Ken Elkins, Tommy Boner, Glen Detwiler, and Ken Willis to assist in the parking lots. Billie Ragland recruited Shirley Maschinski and Cindy Harris to help prepare communion trays.

Rondy Smith, Carol Waller, and Ken Jewett read and led us in the crucifixion, resurrection story.

Betty Willis draped The Center cross with a gold cloth and positioned the lilies in banks. Lance Waller led ushers in seating guests and locating and relocating communion trays. Thanks Andy McCormick, Dave Flint, Randy Lane, Graham Scott, Michael Waller, Ben Tyler, Paul Bolling, Josh Sinclair, Hunter Steinmetz, Christi Fite, Anna-Laura Green, Suzanne Karr Herring, Dorinda Biggs, Keli Green, Beth Fox, Paul Vann.

I met VIPs after second service. Dr. Bob and Carol Broadbooks were visiting with their family. Bob served previously as superintendent of the Tennessee District and currently serves the International Church in Lenexa, Kansas. The Broadbooks remain members of HCN. Missionaries Spencer and April Baggott and their children Lucas, Abigail, and Silas were visiting. They return to Africa this Friday. The Baggotts also remain members of HCN.

The Season of Lent ended on Easter Sunday. Whatever you gave up for forty days could begin again on Easter. For forty days including the six Sundays, I have participated with others in the congregation in the Six Pieces or Less. I wore a suit for two funeral services in which I served and counted them as my uniform exception. Otherwise, I have worn two pairs of pants and four shirts. The experience has helped me to know that I want to clean out my closets and reduce my wardrobe to much less than half. If you are willing, I would love to hear from others who participated in the Six Items. Please tell me what you learned.

The Heritage Men’s Choir sings at HCN this Saturday, April 30, 2011, at 7:00 PM in The Center. The choir includes approximately fifty men who sing a concert of classical Christian hymns. The choir sang two songs at Dr. Greathouse’s funeral and each was my favorite part of the service. The selection and sound were exquisite. Mark Greathouse gives leadership to the choir and its scheduling. If you like hymns, you need to be present.

Baby Day is this Sunday, May 1, 2011. Expect videos at the beginning of worship services of all children who are infants to age two. When we talk about how young our congregation is, this is the proof.

Recognition of College/University Graduates takes place at the start of prayer this Sunday, May 1, 2011. If you or a member of your family will graduate from an undergraduate or graduate program by the end of the summer, please contact the church office at 847-3335 and share information with us.

Our Soldier list for morning prayer needs updating. Please check the list and if you know someone on the list who has returned home, please contact me at hlplummer@aol.com.

Ryan McDaniel, Micah Terry, Jeff Holland, Brandon Hanks, Eric Lathrop, Jeremy Binkley, Stephen Nunley, Noah Jiminez, Matthew Muniz, Michael Resendez, Paul Galloway, Jamie Nicholson, Dylan Booher, Seth Pate, Jonathan Denson, Ron Ray, Nicole Rollis, Jeff Worley, Kevin Thomas, Donnie Samuels, Matt Clouse, Kerry Evans, Micah Smith, Michael Pickartz, Derek Thornhill, Shawn Crofutt, David Durrette

Several part-time housekeeping jobs are currently open at the church. If you like to clean and are not afraid of hard work, contact Jody Scott at 847-3335 and leave your name and a phone number where you may be reached. Do not be offended if you call and are not hired. Please notice the “like to clean” and “hard work” parts. They would not hire me.

Years ago, a young family began to attend HCN because they read the marque on the church lawn inviting them to Easter services. Now relocated in another state, they have searched for a church home without success. This week, the mother told me of calling a church in their area to ask for information about their Easter services. She was told the church did not cater to people who just came to church at Easter. She wrote to say she remembered one church that took that risk. I pray that some who came to HCN yesterday will give us the opportunity again.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard