Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011

Congratulations to Lauren Shepard on qualifying for the Spring 2011 Dean’s List at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Lauren is a double major in English and Women’s Studies.

Mike Miranne’s finish at the Boston Marathon on April 8, 2011, is recorded in the Summer 2011 Treveccan. Mike wore a Trevecca Cross Country shirt and made it into the Where in the World Section.

Matthew Helm competed with the Donelson Blue Devils in the 12U Cal Ripkin State Tournament. The team went undefeated and Matthew batted .571 with a .714 on base percentage. They represent Tennessee in regionals in South Carolina at the end of the month.

Pastor Ken Jewett led the College Class last Wednesday, July 13, 2011, in service at Catholic Charities Refuge Warehouse. They sorted contributions for refugees who are new to Nashville and setting up housekeeping. Servants were Rebecca Sharpe, Katie Scott, Katelyn Houge, Cassie Hunt, Timmy Porter, Eric Owens, Jonathan Tigabu, and Will Miranne.

Missionaries Jay and Teanna Sundberg visited HCN on Wednesday, July 13, 2011, speaking in a combined service of adults, Senior High and Middle School Students in The Center. The Sundbergs were the host missionaries for our TNU students in Bulgaria and Romania this summer. Home on furlough, when they return to Europe, they will serve in Hungary. The offering received for them at the close of service totaled $551.55. Thanks for giving.

Early Christians prepared the beans, potatoes, and cornbread that fed the Poverty Dinner diners. I asked for volunteers last week and they signed up on Sunday morning. Barbara Parrish reminded me that I needed people to help set up and serve and clean up and so class members came early and stayed late to do that. Arch Dobson called from vacation last week to say that he would be out of town on Sunday and he needed me to put in $20 for him. I did. The giving reports this week read that $160 was given for the Poverty Dinner, but that is only money that came through the offering plates in services. Add $1,673 which was given at the head of the serving lines. So far, the total is $1,833. All of those monies will go through World Servants to buy grain, rice, and beans for people in Kali Market, Kenya.

I told you several weeks ago when my watch stopped that I realized people no longer wore watches. They tell time by their cell phones. Well, my cell phone stopped so I bought another watch. Actually, I bought two Timex watches, one with a black band and one with a brown band. Then, I bought another cell phone. My new three month Timex black band watch has already stopped. So, I have bought a $12.99 black band watch from Target. I do not know the brand nor do I care. I am over status symbols.

Words to remember from Sunday: incomparable, merciful, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love, faithful, resilient, reliable. I hope you are remembering to ask God the question: Who is like you?

I look forward to the return of school and the return of some regularity in worship. I miss you when you’re gone.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard