Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22, 2011

I sat at my dining room table at 5:00 AM on Sunday morning and listened to the hard rain and thunder and lightning storm outside. At one point, the thunder rumbled so loudly and deeply that it rang the crystal glasses inside the china cabinet like bells. I was impressed. In some crazy way, I felt God was speaking to me. We need a little mystic in us.

Pastor Ken Jewett invited the College/University Crew to join him rafting on the Ocoee River last Friday evening, Saturday morning. Those who accepted were Lauren Lavery, Ky Bailey, Rebecca Sharpe, Derek Brinkman, Taylor Haydel, Matt Follis, and Michael Follis. I have seen pictures and there were several dips in the water. I will not name them.

Pastor Shane Tarter invited Senior High Students to join him for a Lock-In at HCN on Friday, August 19, 2011. Chaperones who joined him were Treila Garrett, Teresa Vines, Sandra Hunt, Marla Houser. Students included Hunter Steinmetz, Nathan Brown, Connor Allen, Kiana Gonzalez, Blair Stanton, Dillon McCabe, Aren Edwards, Nathan Curtis, Robert Luther, Chris West, Daniel Jones, Sarah Burnette, Hannah Burnette, Allyson Huffman, Madison Trotter, Kelli Rose, Caleb Foster, Blake Propes, Max Andrade, Kevin Helm, Hardie Chambers, Stephanie Owens, Sara Drummond, Jacqueline Winstead, Brandon Shepard, Drew Fraley, Matt Bastin, Trevor Hunt, Eddie Hunsberger, Joshua Elkins, Isaac Thompson, Ryan Mahoney, Jackson Hollinshead, Jessie Raines, Kelsie Craighead, Jessica Perkins, Rachel Jones, Reed McCoy, Sergio Myers, Chase Buscherfeld, Morgan Harold, Jonathan Mowry, Lucas Houge, Hannah Garrett, Hayley Fee, Emily Paddon, Hunter Batty, Toby Haydel, Maya Mansour, Savannah Wilson, Nahall Yousef-Zaden, Naseem Yousef-Zaden, Dylan Thomson, Matthew Kelley, Austin Twelly, Julian Turner, Brett Frashier, Jesse Yates, John Gutman, Marley Gibson, Thomas Waldrop, Robby Amity, Philip Calkins, Brandon Smith, Taylor Gonyea, Jackie Kuiack, Sara Matthews, Jessie Joyce, Avie Joyce, Sarah Griffith, Parker Lawrence, Corey Miranne, Brad Mullins, Justin Woodfin, Rachel Thimell, Travis Dakhil, Peter Murray, Jonathan Silvernail, Ryan Youngs, Levi Calton, Will Choe, Wes Gibson, Blake Escue, Brian Brinkman, Josh Cater, Taylor Clark, Katelyn Houge, Alex Houser, Jonathan Smith, Ryann Amity, Halle Raines, Taylor Vines, Zach Austin, Connor Drape, Justin Angle, Haley Richey, Erin Conway, William Fleming, Josh Johnson, Evan McDaniel, Andrew Vines, Ben Mabry, Nathanael Jackson, Chris Presley, Daniel Allen. If you count, there are 105 names. There were 107 students. This is what happens when the church provides a safe place for young people to be together with food and their friends. A PS to this paragraph is I am a member of a message board on facebook that Senior High Students post to regarding announcements and questions. Yesterday afternoon as I sat in my office waiting for an appointment to arrive, I read this on the message board: “Hey, can anyone get me to church tonight. I will give gas money.” I remembered when I was a teen and needed a ride to church on Wednesday or Sunday night and the people I depended on to pick me up and take me home. Shane told me our kids took the initiative last night to make a sign-up sheet for helping to get this friend back and forth to church.

Senior High Students recently elected a student council for their Building One Team. Seniors elected are Hunter Steinmetz, Reed McCoy, Ben Mabry. Juniors elected are Josh Cater, Sophie Green. Sophomores elected are Jessica Perkins, Rachel Jones. Freshmen elected are Caleb Foster, Jonathan Silvernail. The council has held its first meeting to organize and to begin implementing ministry.
Pastor Rondy Smith coordinated a Newcomers’ Luncheon after second service yesterday morning. The luncheon gives new families an opportunity to meet pastoral staff and for pastoral staff to meet new families. I am always amazed at who I do not know. I had previously met one person. The families who were brave and courageous and made time to meet us were Patrick and Janelle Lake and their children, Zack, Ariana, Elijah; Michael Hraba and his daughters, Katelyn and Haley; Wade and Tonya Williams and their children, Cade and Sydney; and Stan Stocki. Two of the four families first connected with the church through Upwards.

One of the newcomer families asked about a membership class opportunity. I have scheduled two: Tuesday, September 6, 2011, from 7:00 to 8:15 PM and Saturday, September 10, 2011, from 9:00 to 10:15 AM. You only need to attend one and there is no pressure to join the church after attending.

Last Wednesday evening, Jared Bouton brought one of his childhood friends to church with him. His friend’s name is Sawyer. Sawyer was home on a two week leave from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Jared told me he prayed for Sawyer every week when we pray through the soldier list. Jared prayed that when Sawyer came to visit that it would be on a church night. It was. They came to the class I teach in the Parlor. We are finishing the first Radical book. Afterwards, people swamped Sawyer and his wife telling them we were going to pray for him for the rest of his tour of duty. Jared said Sawyer was honored and somehow he felt honored. He wrote: “I was so happy to be a part of a church that is loving, caring, and an amazing example of Christ to someone not a regular within our walls.” You never know when opportunities will come your way to take care of someone for Jesus.

I am glad I know you.


In Christ Jesus,
Pastor Howard