Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009

Joe and Jami Walker presented Caroline Hope in dedication to the Lord on Sunday, August 30, 2009, in the 10:15 AM service in The Center. Caroline was joined at the altar by her grandparents: Jim and Sharon Blakely, Bill Shelow; aunts and uncles: Shari and Steve Cox, Lori Wantz, Bethany Winkler, Kristi and Kevin Walker; cousins: Julia, Isaac, Lily Walker and Mark, Emily, Elle Cox. I carried Caroline on her blessing journey and what a blessing she was to me. She put her arm up on my shoulder, grabbed a piece of my neck, and never let go. Her Uncle Kevin Walker read the story of Hannah from her great-grandfather’s preaching bible and then prayed the prayer of dedication. We thank the Lord for this child entrusted to Joe and Jami to love and to teach the ways of the Lord.

Scott Moore wins the Sunday School story of the week. Scott attended the New Life Sunday School Class last Sunday morning and heard Dave Hunt teach the last lesson of the quarterly session on the book of Revelation. The theme of the lesson was “Jesus is coming, soon” and David emphasized the fact that we need to be ready for his coming. We never know when our time will come. On the way home, driving down Andrew Jackson Parkway, Scott’s car was hit head-on by a young woman who had fallen asleep at the wheel of her car. The impact totaled both cars. Scott escaped with bruises and soreness but without a scratch. He said the only thing he could think of were the words of his Sunday School teacher recorded that morning in his head.

Lisa Kelley sent an email to the church this morning notifying us of an opening in the Admitting Department at Vanderbilt Medical Center. Schedule is either 5:00 AM to 1:30 PM (Mon-Fri) or 11 PM to 7:30 AM (Mon-Fri). If you have questions, call Lisa at home at 754-0032.

I am a grass cutter. So, I never drive onto the campus of the church without noticing that someone, not me, has paid very careful attention to cutting and trimming the lawn and then blowing the parking lot clean. I am also aware that someone started the process by picking up all the garbage that thoughtless people have thrown in the church yard. The first witness that anyone ever gets from the church is the care of the church lawn. Thanks to Robert Parrish, Aaron Foster, Charles Jewell, Jerry Keener, Julie Foster, and Caleb Foster for helping our witness.

Several teen lock-ins back, a couple of holes were knocked in the upstairs hallways of The Center. I think it was the result of a race down the ramp in a shanghaied wheel chair. Ed Hailey repaired those holes recently along with several other bumps around the property. And, I think Ed was the person who repaired the rust stains on one of the metal crosses on the exterior front wall of The Center. Thanks, Ed, for seeing a need and putting your hand to it.

Jennifer Neely asked Shane Tarter and Ken Jewett for a project to work on as the new NYI President and they gave her the task of remodeling Building One’s Senior High Center. Jennifer recruited a team which included Sandra Hunt, Holly Steinmetz, Scott Steinmetz, and Darlene Miranne. Results to date are a spic and span cleaning of the kitchen; new paint on the kitchen wall; new paint on the separator wall of Building One.
It looks classy.

Ray Render has invested a lot of hours and energy in preparing for the new Upward’s season of flag football and cheerleading at HCN. If he is not receiving uniforms and assessing skills, then he is pampering and marking the field. Thanks, Ray. I notice your hard work. Our kids reap the rewards of your labor.

I worked on staff with a pastor once who could not let go of the responsibilities he assigned to me. He was a great guy and to this day we are good friends. I lasted seven months. I like to think I know how to hand off responsibilities and empower others to do their work. I asked for Shane Tarter’s permission to join the Senior High Gathering on Sunday Evenings for a month. I have been afraid the kids thought I came to spy. It would be hard for me to express how much I have enjoyed being with them. If I had a teen who was in the ninth through twelfth grade, I would do everything I could to help them be with these kids. I am sure they are not perfect but I like that they like each other and encourage each other and are good role models for each other. For the last four weeks, I have listened to these teens confess their great desire to know and to do God’s will and then to pray like saints. I will miss my back seat assignment.

The month of August contained two anniversaries for HCN. The first is for the organization of the church on August 14, 1977. That makes the church 32 years old. I think she is aging well. The second is for the first day I became the pastor of the church. That was August 21, 1995. That means we have started our fifteenth year together. I came as a Dad and now I am a Pops. Dr. Larry Leonard, Superintendent of the Tennessee District Church of the Nazarene, visits with the church board on Thursday, October 29, 2009, at 7:00 PM to determine the status of pastoral relations for the next four years. If you have a particular opinion and would like to express it, speak to a church board member between now and then.


In Christ Jesus,
Pastor Howard