Tuesday, September 8, 2009

September 8, 2009

Once more the clouds of rain descended just in time to chase us into The Center for the church cook-out on the Sunday before Labor Day. No gripes here, however. I en-joyed the food, the company, the conversation. Thanks to the Cooking Team of Wayne McNeese, Kenny McNeese, Ken Koon, and Mike Anderson. Thanks to the Prep Team of Lisa Anderson, Pam McNeese, Kylee Koon, and Dot Waffird. Thanks to everyone who prepared food to add to the hamburgers and hotdogs. I ate some great salads, baked beans, deviled eggs, and apple pie.

Music on Sunday was led by a group of incredible friends who stepped up to fill the gaps in the absence of Sam Green. Thanks to Richard Knox and Donny Jackson for leading congregational worship in first and second services. Thanks to Donny for leading the choir in each. Thanks to Dave Flint for coordinating band rehearsal. Thanks to Willard Brinkman for playing the offertory to release Dave. Thanks for operating as a great team.

Sam Green was absent on Sunday morning due to unexpected results from his annual physical the previous Thursday. Sam’s white blood count runs consistently low. It was too low on Thursday, however, so he had a bone marrow biopsy on Friday and received several units of blood. By Sunday morning, the numbers were improved slightly. Results from the biopsy are back this Thursday. Pray for Sam’s healing.

I teach a class for people interested in membership on Tuesday, September 15, 2009, at 7:00 PM and Saturday, September 19, 2009, at 9:00 AM. Classes last less than one hour and fifteen minutes. You only need to attend one class. You do not have to join the church after attending. Some people come to find out what we believe. The emphasis in the class is on articles of faith; how we govern ourselves; who we call our pastors; how we handle money. New members will be received on Sunday, September 20, 2009, at the close of each worship service.

A meeting for people planning to go on the Africa Mission in June 2010 is scheduled for Sunday, September 27, 2009, at 4:30 PM in the Sanctuary. World Servants has asked for our first $100 deposits for each person and we need to comply ASAP. Questions are being asked again regarding inoculations. We will try to cover all relevant issues again and begin to compile a probability list of participants. If you believe you are supposed to go on this trip, keep walking toward it.

There are several special music projects heading toward us. The Fall Concerts are planned for Sunday, September 27, 2009, at 9:00 and 10:30 AM in The Center. There will be no Sunday School on this Sunday. EverPraise, a mixed ensemble from Trevecca Nazarene University, provides special music as a part of worship services on Sunday, October 18, 2009. The Heritage Men’s Choir leads a special worship service on Friday, October 30, 2009, at Hermitage Church. This choir is composed largely of Trevecca alumni with emphasis on sacred hymns and compositions.

The Fall Festival Fish Fry is on calendar for Sunday, October 25, 2009, at 5:00 PM in the outdoors of the west end of the church campus. Wayne McNeese asked on Sunday if I could begin to alert volunteers who are willing to help cook fish, potatoes, hush puppies or serve in any food delivery area for the evening. Listen for a called meeting soon.

Anna and I were leaving Outback Steak House last Friday evening where we had eaten supper. I had made my turn toward the door when I heard someone shout “Pastor” across the restaurant. I turned to see Trey Miles standing up and motioning for me to come over. He and Sarah, Hutson and Harper Kate were there eating with their extended family. Trey wanted me to meet them. He introduced me as the pastor of their church. They were gracious people like the Miles. On Sunday, Trey came to me to apologize for putting me on the spot. I told him I was honored that he wanted me to meet his family. I told him most of us would say, “There’s the pastor. I hope he doesn’t see us.” Maybe Trey will get there, but in the meantime.

I am glad I know you all.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard