Monday, August 9, 2010

August 9, 2010

Congratulations to Matt and Katie Seaton on the birth of their son, Champ Matthew Seaton, on Saturday, August 7, 2010, at 3:03 AM at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. He weighed 8 lbs 5 ozs and measured 19 inches in length. Champ is the brother of Bella and Mia. We bless the Lord who has blessed Matt and Katie with a healthy baby and safe birth.

Congratulations to the nine young people who were baptized on Sunday, August 8, 2010, in the 5:00 PM service in the Sanctuary: Tristan Lee, Morgan Evans, Bethany Thimell, Rachel Thimell, Braden Maphet, Ben Griffith, Morgan Harold, and Jessica Long. Those who baptized were Pastors Carol Waller, Ken Jewett, and Shane Tarter. We celebrate the resurrected new life represented in the sacrament of baptism and the models they provide for the congregation.

Thank you to the Saturday Samaritans coordinated by Marvin Heath who worked on various projects throughout the congregation to assist widows and single parents in caring for their homes. Some of the volunteers worked on projects on the church property. Volunteers were Jeff Cater, Josh Cater, Philip Lutz, Herb McMillan, Kent Kile, Jim Knox, Tanner Webb, Ken Willis, and Carter Poole.

All the services at HCN seemed to possess a special anointing on Sunday, August 8, 2010. The invitation to prayer at the close of second service was still coming out of my mouth when young people started to come forward, and not only forward but up and onto the platform beside of me. Eventually around fifteen to twenty senior high students were standing beside of me with lots more people standing on the floor in front of the pulpit. I was and remain deeply moved by the transparency of those who came to pray and the Holy Spirit who moved them. I am so grateful to the Lord that he still surprises me.

Thank you to the people who joined the Africa Mission 2010 Team at 6:00 PM in the Center to listen to their stories and to see their pictures. I tried to let other people talk but I wanted to tell you some things I think are important to know but were not told:

· Becky Evans ordered what must have been several thousand crosses on ebay months and months before our trip. She purchased the string to go with the crosses and cut them to proper length. The team gave one of the cross necklaces to every child in every school we visited. I wore mine the entire trip.

· I owe Phil Stinson a pair of dress socks. One of my suitcases arrived five days late in Kenya. I had no dress socks for the first Sunday morning in Nairobi and went begging. Phil gave me a pair and I have not returned them. They may still be in Kali.

· Jessica Dozier is a hard worker. On more than one occasion, she functioned as a mule to pull a wheelbarrow to some destination. She pulled and pushed and carried until she earned my respect.

· Rob Mathias led our group in and out of terminals and airplanes and got us to Kenya and back home with grace and a little arguing with airlines. Rob’s mother, Margaret, joined our group for the trip and made everything better, including adding another redhead.

· Hunter Steinmetz and Daniel Jones stepped up every time we needed heavy lifting. I told them before we left that they needed to be the strong men when it came to lifting suitcases to the top of buses and pulling luggage in and out of tight places. I never had to speak to them again. They always carried the heavy loads.

· Jessica, Presley Stinson, Hunter, Daniel, and Andrew Vines loved on the Kenyan children the entire time we were in Kali. They are only teens themselves but they gave themselves away every evening when we returned from a day of work at the orphanage property. Kids from the surrounding community would be waiting on them to play soccer or to take a walk and they were always ready. Andrew began to tell us early that he was a new person and I believe him.

· Teresa Vines gave me medicine on one of the long flights when I was too sick to get medicine from my own briefcase. It was the only flight where Anna and I were separated. It is good to share ailments with a bearer of meds.

· Although John Reigard talked bad about me in his report, I will have a big heart. John is one of the most multi-talented men I know. He has enormous ability in leading children in worship. As I am fortunate to have Anna, John is fortunate to have Rachelle.

· Valerie Marsh and Teresa Vines took some amazing photos on our journey. I do not like to have my picture taken but I now have some of my favorite photos ever. The service did not do justice to all that is yet to be shown.

· Ronnie Marsh and Dan Scott ran almost every morning in Kali, even when they were sick, so that they would not miss the life-time opportunity to run with Kenyans.

· Jody Sweeten helped me receive the news of the death of Palmer Maphet by telling me a call was coming for me on his phone. What little he already knew helped to prepare me for what I heard.

· The Early Christian Sunday School Class served as my prayer partners for the trip. I asked them to pray for my health and specifically the aches and pains that come with age. The two major aches and pains that afflicted me before the trip left and have not returned.

An additional matron is being added to the orphanage at Kali due to the generosity of donors at HCN.

The first Sunday of the new schedule begins this Sunday, August 15, 2010. Remember that first service remains the same at 9:00 AM. Second service is fifteen minutes earlier at 10:00 AM. Third service begins at 11:30 AM. I look forward to seeing each of you in one of the services.

In Christ Jesus,

Pastor Howard