Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2009

Our church staff team and office staff took the Memorial Monday off with the rest of the nation and enjoyed a day apart. I worked on academic things from 5:30 to 10:30 AM; ate lunch with my family at Red Robin (Kennedy’s favorite restaurant); read the paper; took a nap; watched television; took a nap; checked on things in the office; and ate dinner out with friends. Our daughter, Kelly, hosted guests for the long weekend from the office in Bermuda where she worked for three years. Her guests were Brits and Canadians who expressed thanks for the holiday. Would it sound snooty if I told you I was thankful for the holiday? I am thankful for the men and women who have served our country with their time and their energy and their lives.

Thank you to the Men’s Cooking Team of Wayne McNeese, Ken Koon, Mike Anderson; the Women’s Prep Team of Pam McNeese, Lisa Anderson, Kylee Koon, Dot Waffird; and the Set-up, Clean-up Team of the New Life Sunday School Class for all the service given to the rest of us at Sunday Evening’s Memorial Day Cook-Out. The food was outstanding and the fellowship was better.

Congratulations to Brian Brinkman who played doubles in the Division IIA Middle/ East Tennis Regional for Davidson Academy and came in second place. Brian and partner will play in the State Tournament at MTSU. He also plays singles for the team.

The LiveWire/Building One Dinner Theatre not only had lots of teen presenters but multiple adult preparers. They were Tammy Jones, Jill Satterlee, Tim and Treila Garrett, Jillian Forcum, Stacey Joyce, Jason and Beth Vines, Jonathan and Sarah Paddon, Holly Steinmetz, Aaron Foster, Sandy Mahoney, Sandra Hunt, Teresa Vines, Jeff Cater, Kathy Drummond, Mike and Darlene Miranne, Glenda Perkins, Michael and Carol Waller, Ken Stegall, Gary and Christine Helm, Brian Biggs, Beth Fox, Beth Hollingsworth, Jo Ann Jackson, Buddy and Kristi Mabry, John Reigard, Kris Neely, Herb McMillan, Charlotte Rose, Jody Scott, and John Jordan. One teen was left off the list last week: Andrew Vines. My apologies to Andrew, who happens to be a great kid.

I have reported on the Mt. Juliet Men’s Baseball Team for several weeks. Last Friday, May 22, 2009, the team played Farragut High School at MTSU for the State Class AAA Championship Game, and lost 2-1. Although the loss was grievous, Farragut is an exceptional opponent, having won five titles since 2003, and is ranked 13th in high school baseball nationally. A photo of Logan Dalton made the front page of The Tennessean Sports Section on Saturday, May 23, 2009. Congratulations on an exceptional season to Logan, Taylor Haydel, Matt Sedgwick, Landon Trotter, and Kyle Smith.

Frequently in a class I teach, I am overwhelmed with the combined wisdom of the many minds and hearts. I use up lots of markers writing down the pieces of what people share in Sunday School. I am also overwhelmed with the beauty of what people write. The last paragraph I wrote in last week’s pastoral letter touched a nerve with several of you. I had a voice mail left at home and I received an anonymous letter from someone in this morning’s mail. It is so deeply beautiful that if I knew who wrote it, I would beg you to let me print it. So, to the author, whoever you are, thank you for writing. Your words were like honey from heaven to me.

This Sunday, May 31, 2009, is the last of the Church Year. It is my responsibility to gather up the statistics of the church to report to the district and general church. It is also a fifth Sunday when we invite the Middle School LiveWire Students and the HisKids Elementary Students to join us in second worship. It is also the Sunday that we recognize our 2009 High School Graduates. Make it your business to be present and participating and congratulating.

I look forward to being with you in the presence of the Almighty.


In Christ Jesus,
Pastor Howard